Sustainable and Energy Retrofits
Sustainable and energy retrofits of existing buildings reduce operation costs, environmental impacts, creates healthy and livable spaces, and can increase building durability and resiliency.
BCD works with the home or building owner to scale and create healthy spaces and energy efficiencies. Our design team works collaboratively with the client on design intent and budget.
First consideration is given to conservation, where we assess how well your home or building is insulated. Appliances, water-heaters, HVAC systems, etc., are evaluated for optimum performance and minimal consumption. Healthy building materials, and then energy production, such as solar panels, are discussed with the client.
BCD offers experience-based solutions to help companies, organizations, and governments achieve their sustainability goals in a financially responsible manner. With its headquarters in Washington, D.C., and a preservation-minded principal with 15 years of congressional and policy experience, BCD is perfectly positioned to play a vital role in offering strategic solutions and developing sound public policy as it pertains to green building and sustainability.
The U.S. Congress, the U.S. Green Building Council, and a myriad of think tanks, universities, associations, and sustainable-minded stake holders, are located in District of Columbia. BCD interacts with the Washington policy community to help shape energy policy and sustainable solutions. D.C. itself is rapidly moving to become the greenest and most livable city in the nation and a global leader in sustainability. In March 2014, it adopted its 2013 D.C. Construction Code which features some of the most modern, sustainable and energy-and water-efficient building practices to date.
Contact us to see how we can assist your business or municipality with sustainable strategies and policy development.
Real Estate Development
Sustainable development and design strategies are most successful and effective when they are integrated into the initial project concept. From site acquisition to occupancy, we work with individual clients and communities to incorporate green building, energy efficiency, and re-use of historic buildings and previously developed land, into the development project. The result are buildings and communities that:
- meet Energy Star or LEED standards;
- have rainwater run-off systems;
- incorporate native plants in the landscaping that are maintained chemical-free;
- reuse and recycle of construction materials from site;
- place a high premium on parks and open space;
- support a mixture of housing price points;
- eco-restoration of waterways and natural resources;
- rehabilitate historic buildings;
- install green roof and bioswales connected to water retention area to control stormwater flooding and improve water quality;
- are walkable and livable by being within walking distance of public transit systems, schools, civic centers;
- use paints that emit few volatile organic compounds (VOCs), low-emitting cabinets, countertops, carpet, and insulation for healthy indoor quality; and
- lay porous streets and sidewalks.
If you are considering selling your property, or if you know of someone who is, please take a moment to contact us. BCD is committed to thoughtful adaptive reuse and development projects.